SOCIAL AUDIO DISTORTION FORUM Forum IndexSOCIAL AUDIO DISTORTION FORUM
free speech car and home audio forum-if you are smart not to fit anywhere else, come in here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in            Calendar

NEWS:
Geddes Summa Loudspeaker Kit
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SOCIAL AUDIO DISTORTION FORUM Forum Index -> Home Audio Hall of Shame
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Terrorizer

:

Items

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:34 am    Post subject: Geddes Summa Loudspeaker Kit Reply with quote

Geddes Summa Loudspeaker Kit

My cyber friend is getting excited about the Earl Geddes Summa
Loudspeaker kit. This is all over various forums. If you don't know,
Earl Geddes is considered an audio guru by peers, DIY'ers, etc.

I tried to talk my friend into building arrays instead but the internet
excitement is overwhelming and he wanted to hear what these
waveguides [horns] are all about.

Here's a quick summary on the Summa Kit.

What does the Geddes website say ?

http://www.gedlee.com/
Announcing the Summa kits

What is Earl Geddes signature on www.diyaudio.com ?

Quote:
Summa speaker kits Now available: The highly acclaimed Summa loudspeaker is now available as a kit.

What does the Summa Kit webpage say ? [before Aug. 27, 2008]
http://www.gedlee.com/Summa.htm

Quote:

The highly acclaimed Summa loudspeaker is now available as a kit.

You can read several reviews of the Summa here or here (Post #108).

Quote:
Reviews
http://www.gedlee.com/downloads/recommendations.pdf

Post #108
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1507485#post1507485

The white paper highlights the GedLee approach to systems design.

Please note that these kits may have parts that are not cut on a machine, but are done by hand. Some woodworking skills are required for assembly. Sanding is necessary on the rounded edges and power tools would be helpful (if not necessary). A small amount of soldering is also required. There could be substantial delays (months) in shipment due to a backlog of orders.

The Nathan10 and Abbey12 will be available in several forms (all prices per speaker , excluding shipping, in US$):

All Parts
Nathan10 - $650
Abbey12 - $1150

Baffle/waveguide, drivers, crossover
Nathan10 - $550
Abbey12 - $1050

Baffle/waveguide/foam/mounting plate
Nathan10 - $250
Abbey12 - $350

Fully assembled, painted and tested
Nathan10 - $1050
Abbey12 - $1550

Quote:
Complete kit has all necessary parts (drivers, crossover, baffle with waveguide and foam insert, cabinet hardware, instructions) - some gasket materials may need to be provided.

Drivers for Nathan10 are B&C 10PS26 and DE250-8

Drivers for Abbey12 are B&C 12TBX100 and DE250-8

Baffle/waveguide has foam insert, mounting plate, drawings

Substitute Eminence drivers in Nathan10 (Kappa 10, PDP2002): $80 off

Assembled prices include matt colors in black, white or red (with other colors sometimes available on request). High gloss finish is $250 extra and is available in just about any color with a sample to match.

The original Summa15 in composite enclosure, fully assembled and painted, are still available by special order at $3500 (plus shipping)

Deposits must be made to get in the delivery queue.

Changes to content can be made at the discretion of the manufacturer and options can be eliminated at any time. (It is highly likely that the baffle only option will be eliminated in the future as I can't keep up with the demand.)

Oversea orders are getting very complex and an added handling charge of $100 for the kits and $200 for crates for the assembled models will be charged in addition to the shipping costs for any product sent outside of the US (including Canada).

J.P. [in robot voice] "I am a geeenius!, Adios, turd nuggets"
Terrorizer

:

Items

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend doesn't know how to order these kits, it's implied you have
to send Geddes an email.

Here is the email log between my friend and Geddes

My Friend
Quote:
I would like to order only one Abbey12 "Baffle/waveguide/foam/mounting plate".
Can I use a credit card ?

Geddes
Quote:
Thanks for the interest in my speakers.

I don't sell just single parts. Two is the minimum order.

The Abbey's are not yet shipping and the queue is pretty long. It would be many months if you put in the order right now. You can pay with a credit card at sales@gedlee.com on www.paypal.com

Where would they be going to as shipping overseas gets expensive and I have to charge this up front?

Earl

Arrow I don't see "Two is the minimum order" on the website Rolling Eyes

My Friend
Quote:
I'm looking for a mono setup, one channel only.
I don't need two speakers. Shipping is USA.

Geddes
Quote:
Given the demand, the delays, etc. I'd prefer not to sell just one baffle and there is every likelihood that I won't be selling just Abbey baffles at all as it's not an attractive business for me.

Sorry.

Earl

Arrow Why is ordering one more difficult than ordering two ? Rolling Eyes

Arrow If relunctant to sell just the Abbey12 baffles as it's not
an attractive business, then why advertise you have Abbey12 kits
available ? Rolling Eyes

My Friend sent two emails at the same time

Email #A
Quote:
What about the Nathan10 baffles in single baffle purchase ?

Email #B sent shortly afterwards
Quote:
I'm actually confused reading your website.

"all prices per speaker"

Is a speaker a pair given that it's typically
2 channel audio or is the word speaker using singularly?

If you sell in pairs, then will I get two baffles for $250 [Nathan 10] / $350 [Abbey12], either one is fine, or is it $500 / $700 respectively?

Geddes reply to email #A
Quote:
I don't want to sell baffles only and I really don't want to sell them individually. It's all about business. I may stop selling baffles only in the very near future. I warned about this in the beginning and now that I really can't keep up with the kit orders there is no incentive for me to sell just baffles.

Earl

Arrow I don't understand this at all. He's advertising Summa Kits
on the forums and his website, per speaker sales, then in email he
says he doesn't want to sell a damn thing !

Geddes reply to email #B
Quote:
Ok, you convinced me. The website has now changed and baffles only are no longer available. Sorry.

That was $500/$700 a pair.

Earl

Arrow WTF ?

As of August 27, 2008

Quote:
The baffle only option is being discontinued for the time being. There is not enough supply to fulfill kit orders at the present and so I cannot take any further orders for only baffles until such time as I can improve on the supply.

Last edited by Terrorizer on Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:58 am; edited 3 times in total
Peter_Euro
Site Admin

:

Items

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, why not put this in the HA hall of shame? I would not hesitate starting a global announcement thread with a warning about paying more for a pile of junk than decent quality mass market set of speakers would cost (including free delivery from a local chain store)... I bet that gloss finish is just some lacquer sprayed over MDF... For 250, he should seal off the MDF with resin and then paint over or offer a veneer (formica) for long time durability... Rolling Eyes
Terrorizer

:

Items

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Well, why not put this in the HA hall of shame?

I guess you are right, I moved this thread from 'other' to the
Home Audio Hall of Shame section. It makes more sense.

I wonder is this fits the "Vaporware" description ?

Quote:
Vaporware is a somewhat derogatory term used to describe a software or hardware product that is announced by a developer well in advance of release, but which then fails to emerge after having well exceeded the period of development time that was initially claimed or would normally be expected for the development cycle of a similar software/hardware product.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaporware

Not quite, the product has emerged but you can't buy what is
advertised on the website as product is not shipping and the
developer, in spite of heavily advertising on the internet, is reluctant
to sell, then later decides not to sell at all.

Very bizzare turn of event indeed Laughing Twisted Evil

I wonder how many people were initially taken in ? Will they ever
see product or get a refund ?

Terrorizer

:

Items

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Branwell is a good guy doing many hands-on audio experiments.

I remember this thread.
http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=24333&highlight=mcm+waveguide

Quote:
A push for Wave Guides

For those of you that need a push to try wave-guides…..

For reference, in the past two years I’ve had active and active/passive systems configured in WWMTM, WWMT, WMTM, WMT and had them in ported, sealed, and in dipole configurations. Also had some ported line arrays….

Drivers used included Peerless 12” XLS, Eminence Kappa Pro 15lf-2, Seas W22, W18ex, SS18W/8540, 15M, PHL 1340, 1120, SS9900, Seas Millennium, Morel 110, North D28, G2, Newform 45” Ribbons, OW1, and a few I’ve probably forgotten.

Last summer I got a pair of BMS-4540ND compression tweeters with DDS I-90 Pro wave-guides. Also picked up a pair of 10” PHL extended midrange drivers.

I intended to set them up with the 15” bass drivers using a DEQX crossover, but being a compression tweeter and 10” mid, I had big time second doubts. Anyway, got them setup in temporary boxes and listened for a while. This was enough to convince me that I really should be getting some better boxes built…

The system came apart.…

….and for the last couple months, I rolled through all my “normal” configurations while figuring the box thing out for the pro drivers

Yesterday, got the new boxes stuffed with the BMS and PHL drivers and spent a few hours on the crossover. Points ended up at 200hz and 1600hz. Slopes are 96db per octave.

I suppose the most controversial component in the speakers are the compression tweeters and wave guides.
So, how do they compare to the other tweeters mentioned?
There simply is no realistic comparison. The BMS not only has an order of magnitude more headroom, but it just plain sounds a lot more real. Cymbals, Triangles and instruments with a lot of air and shimmer are the best I’ve heard. Fantastic definition. They also excel with complex sounds such as brass and large orchestras.

The 10” midrange? Again, like the BMS, it just feels unlimited in headroom and never sounds strained. Female vocals never sound thin and male vocals project with great weight.

Anyway, for those of you that are tempted to try a wave-guide: I’d say go for it. The more even dispersion and extra headroom they provide at the bottom end do pay off.

For those of you thinking of trying a compression tweeter, some of them are pretty nasty, but I’d take a BMS with Digital EQ over any ribbon or 1” dome I’ve ever heard.

If there is one thing this system has enforced in me, it’s that the more I think I know, the smaller and less interesting my world becomes.

--Branwell

DDS I-90 Pro wave-guides
http://www.ddshorns.com/catalog.php?page=ENG190Pro

Quote:
The ENG 1-90 Pro is a smooth nominal 90° near-field wave guide with a 1" entry throat. Designed by Mark Engebretson, the DDS ENG 1-90 Pro is intended for small theater and high quality monitor designs that require excellent single point source imaging.

Performance Specifications
Sensitivity: 112.3dB SPL
Nominal Gain: +4.2dB
Frequency Range: 900Hz - 20kHz
Frequency Response: 1kHz - 18kHz
Dispersion: 91.15° H x 91.15° V
Directivity Factor (Q): 9.3(+1.3-1.5)
Dimensions: 10.625" (27cm) Dia.

ENG 1-90 Pro: Horizontal Polar Response
630 Hz - 16kHz, 1/3 octave center frequencies

I think this was the said loudspeaker using those drivers and horns.

I think this was the MCM electronics waveguide, also 10" in size like
the DDS brand.

MCM page:
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/54-580

H-65 - MCM - Threaded Horn Lens
MCM Part #: 54-580
Price: $11.09

Arrow Arrow Arrow Yes, eleven dollars Laughing

Terrorizer

:

Items

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My DIY Efforts, with more to come
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1057120

snip......

Quote:
As for whats to come, I recently put money down on 3 of Dr. Geddes Abbey 12 speakers to replace my fronts. There will be more to say about these later, but based on extensive scientific research conducted by Dr. Geddes and Dr. Lee, they have come up with various unique technologies and implementations which offer very low distortion, a very linear response, and great polar response. I decided I could not better Dr. Geddes work and decided to build his kits. I may do some refinements to the crossover if I don't feel his are as good as they could be, but he has far greater measurement abilities than me, and I know what he has put into optimizing these kits.

--pjpoes

Arrow I hope you get your speakers buddy Laughing

Terrorizer

:

Items

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Building the Nathan 10 - 07-29-2008 - by markus76

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=a6ad44f2399c8e5389d90b4c0cb688d0&threadid=127152

Quote:
Hey guys,

my name is Markus and I'm not native English so please excuse any spelling mistakes.

After stumbling upon Earl Geddes thread;

DIY Waveguide loudspeaker kit - by Earl Geddes
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=122318

I decided to send him 1200 bucks end of May and started to wait. B&C speakers arrived mid July, parts for the crossover a few days later. Yesterday the cabinet parts arrived after a 2 months wait. I guess that's the price you have to pay for being first...

So this is what's included
- Baffle with casted waveguide
- Cabinet parts in MDF
- Screws and drive-in nuts
- Pre drilled compression driver mounting plate
- Foam insert for waveguide
- B&C driver
- Crossover parts
- Luster terminals for connecting the crossover parts
- Terminals

What's missing
- Damping (?)

Tools you need for assembly
- Wood glue
- Clamping fixture
- Drill
- Screwdriver
- Sanding paper

Here's what the Nathan 10 will look like when the cabinet parts are put together loosly:

Looks like a lot of adjustments and sanding... I guess that's the price you have to pay for...

Best, Markus

Arrow Good news, he ordered his kit in May and got it in 2 months.

durwood

:

Items

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point these things are just audio celebrity fanware.

I'm impatient sometimes. I can't stand waiting on someone else and find it easier and better most times to just DIY. In this day and age, on demand supply/demand model is king. If it's not available, go buy something else. There is plenty to choose from.

Beautiful taking preorders so you don't have to front the money yourself. Best part is, if you try to get a refund from paypal for a long delay, you are screwed even if the product is never delivered.
Peter_Euro
Site Admin

:

Items

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe this is just a deception, maybe he had no intention of selling any partial assmeblies and full sets and most likely assemebled speakers were his intention all along, advertising partial assemblies for sale fits neatly into that "DIY" market, especially when you know nobody will buy it anyway? You called his bluff and guess what? He will not sell to you, even though this is what he is suppose to do.?

Or maybe the self proclaimed DIY'ers are not DIY'ers at all but try to avoid chain stores and mass market brands instead but are allergic to doing any work themselves? Who knows, without seeing his actual order and sales figures, this would be just another guess. I was looking at his stuff and the pics do not clue me in about the location of that "waveguid on the speaker, I see a baffle with two round openings, one is recessed and this is where the woofer goes, the other one is round too, I guess that wave guide is round on its outer edge and just screws in over that hole? considering there is nothing behind that hole to be recessed inside of the cabinet, the plastic (?) waveguide must stick out somewhat either into the inside of the cabinet or to the outside. I am guessing it is recessed into the cabinet with the threaded fitting at the end. This is something you could definitively whip out yourself, making a dummy mockup out of plaster, then making a silicone mold out of it and start knocking these things out. With about 50 bucks invested in the mold and few variations (to acommodated a variety of compression drivers, as long as they use the same threaded fitting), you could be knocking these things out all day long on the table of your living room, the plastic supplies are very cheap and the waveguide does not have to be very thick where it mounts to the cabine, just at the part that has the threaded fitting. I bet if you set it up, the unit cost of the pair would not exceed 60 bucks in materials plus your time and cost of drivers. If you are smart, you buy a few rolls of veneer and formica tape and offer a variety of finishes that are very easy to apply and durable at the same time. The fact this dude charges 1500 for a pair of these fully assembled uber DIY wonders (gloss is 250 extra), makes me admire his raping abilities... I guess no dog or cat is safe in his neigborhood, not even mentioning the humans... Wink BTW, if he requires rounding off any edges on these cabinets, this is really stupid because it forces you to use painted finish only, some people like usign veneer, vinyl or formica sheeting, hard to get it done when the edges of cabinets are rounded off... Rolling Eyes
Terrorizer

:

Items

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geddes on Waveguides - 06-19-2007 by Variac

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=a6ad44f2399c8e5389d90b4c0cb688d0&threadid=103872

Yes, a 72 page thread to lubricate the masses.

While you read those long threads, take a break and visit these
websites as an intermission.

Tony Robbins - Unleash the Power Within
http://www.tonyrobbins.com

Tom Vu - Airdate Circa: November 1990
Quote:
The most enduring image in infomercial history is that of a diminutive Vietnamese immigrant named Tom Vu telling tales of real estate fortunes from his yacht while surrounded by the gorgeous bodies of bikini-clad models.

http://www.infomercial-hell.com/tom-vu/

Quote:

"A lot of your friends will tell you, 'Don't come to the seminar. It's a get-rich-quick plan.' Well, tell them, It is a get-rich-quick plan—because life is too short to get rich slow."

"Tom Vu says his system is different than other experts'."

"Tom Vu says one of the keys to making quick money in real estate is to know how to locate bargain properties."

"Tom Vu says if you have no money or no credit to buy property, don't worry about it."

"Some of you have parents or grandparents who worked hard all their life and retired with almost nothing. You don't have to be like them."

"Okay. You've seen me make a lot of money. You've seen my students who are average people make a lot of money. Isn't is about time for you to go out and make a lot of money?"

"Don't say someday you will do it. Someday may never come. Come to my free 90-minute seminar now."

"Some people say that education is expensive; I think ignorance is more expensive."—From a testimonial.

"If you think knowledge is expensive, try the ignorance."—From a different testimonial.

"Let's face it, how much money are you going to make sitting there at home."

"There's two kinds of work in America: hard work and smart work. Which one are you doing now?"

"I remember not too long ago I was driving the old beat up Pinto. I didn't like it too much because it conk out on me so many times."

"We bought it from a bank that had foreclosed on a football player."—A testimonial.

"I never forget what my grandfather told me: There are two kind of people in life: the doer and the loser. Which one are you?"

"Would you like to live an exciting lifestyle? I'm giving you the opportunity."

"Some people...they even afraid to learn to make millions. Why? You only live once."

durwood

:

Items

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjpoes bought "3" eh? I thought they were only available in pairs. Laughing Or is that 3 pairs?
Terrorizer

:

Items

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

durwood wrote:
pjpoes bought "3" eh? I thought they were only available in pairs. Laughing Or is that 3 pairs?

Kudos !

In the HT world, the speakers used are odd numbers. Laughing
[5.1, 7.1 surround sound]

Most people would want 5.1 surround, they need two mains,
one center, two surround, 5 speakers, 7 speakers for 7.1. Laughing

Laughing

Peter_Euro
Site Admin

:

Items

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LMAO, I was somehow exactly on the money with what this thing was... After looking at the "waveguide", the type of the material indicates to me that he is knocking out these things using two part liquid plastic that I have been playing with in the past and most likely uses the molds I mentioned in another thread... Haha... this is some really funny shit... I got thrown off with the other picture that showed some clear plastic like plexi or carbonate that could require different approach... LMAO... Twisted Evil
Terrorizer

:

Items

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DIY Waveguide loudspeaker kit
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1563351#post1563351

Quote:
Are you ready to start accepting down payment on the Abbey kits?

Mike

Quote:

07-16-2008

Yes, I will take orders for the Abbey, but not the Abbey+. If, however, I get the Abbey+ developed for production then when your name comes up to the top of the queue I will allow you to use your deposit for the larger system.

I have started shipping Nathans this week.

I will be building a prototype Abbey early next week. Once the prototype is done, then the manufacturing process should go quickly because it is a just a small modification to that for the Nathans.

I am extremely pleased with the Nathans at this point. The cast waveguides are a real improvement over the fiberglass ones. Very rigid and well damped. And I have streamlined all aspects of the process to allow for rapid manufacturing of the parts. Here is a picture of the kit.

--Earl Geddes

Terrorizer

:

Items

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DIY Waveguide loudspeaker kit
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1563351#post1563351

Quote:

07-23-2008

The Nathan 10s are shipping now, still a little short of some small but key parts, mostly screws and terminals for the crossovers, but in another week I'll have parts enough for a lot of kits. I can fill Nathan 10 orders in a couple of weeks now. When I get clear of the backlog of Nathan orders I'll start on the Abbeys. I already have the molds so this should go fairly quickly.

In all honesty the Abbey will be the better system, of that I have no doubt, but it is bigger and more expensive. If you have the room and can afford them get the Abbeys, if not then the Nathans work quite well and you won't be disappointed.

I don't think anybody but myself has finished a set of kits as they just started to ship.

--Earl Geddes

Arrow Keep in mind, this post is just a month ago Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SOCIAL AUDIO DISTORTION FORUM Forum Index -> Home Audio Hall of Shame All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: