thegirlsclub Forum Indexthegirlsclub
This is a forum for women fighters in the SCA and similar clubs. Mentors, supporters, etc. too.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in            Calendar

NEWS:
Double Bell Questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sarra
Club Member

:

Items

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 12:27 am    Post subject: Double Bell Questions Reply with quote

Not sure if this is the right forum, feel free to move the topic if better suited somewhere else!

So my mom and I are upgrading to a non-nylon tent, and one strong option is the Double Bell, probably from Panther.

Just a few questions.

Are they fairly easy to set up? Could two females set it up fairly easily, or would we need help?

How stable are they once they are set up? Since there are only 2 uprights and a ridge pole, could it survive Pennsic without falling down?

Good option sizewise? We are looking at I think the 12 x 16, and for me, I think this is an awesome design- sleeping in the two 'bells', dressier sitting area in the center.

Currently we have a 10 x 12 nylon tent

Thoughts? Advice?

Thanks! Sarre
Cunian
Site Admin
Site Admin

:

Items

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a homemade one that is pretty under-engineered, and it's been through several pennsics just fine. Of course, you can always get the odd micro-burst at Pennsic, but it's a nice, stable design that the wind goes around easily and seems to work very well. Easy for two to put up. I find I need a second person for about 2 minutes when I am ready to push the uprights into place and that otherwise it is fine as a one person job.

There is a lot less useable space than you might think, but it should be okay if you're neat or you don't mind your sitting area getting overrun. Hang some loops from the top of the uprights when you are setting it up, so that you can hang hangers and clothes on them.
Isabella E
Site Admin
Site Admin

:

Items

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have that particular tent but I do have a panther tent and it's pretty awesome. It's weathered a bunch of rainy and windy estrella wars and it's none the worse for wear. I find camping in a pavilion is just overall much more comfortable than a nylon tent. No leaks, lots of stability, more headroom!

A word on canvas. If you get colored canvas it's heavier than the lighter weight uncolored canvas. Sunforger is even lighter. Unless you get a monstrous tent two able bodied people can set one up though most of the time you can find an extra hand if you need it. I don't know what your camping situation is but in my group we usually help each other set our pavilions up.
Jesmond
Senior Club Member

:

Items

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not have this particular tent. I CAN set up my tent by myself. I've done it at home alone. However I have never been able to set my tent up by myself at an event. PEOPLE INSIST ON HELPING. I don't want them to help, but that is just too bad. Because they will.
Next event: Christmas Re-tourney
The Misery Tour: You'll wish we had less fun.
broinnfinn
Senior Club Member

:

Items

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isabella E wrote:
I don't have that particular tent but I do have a panther tent and it's pretty awesome. It's weathered a bunch of rainy and windy estrella wars and it's none the worse for wear. I find camping in a pavilion is just overall much more comfortable than a nylon tent. No leaks, lots of stability, more headroom!

I have had 4 Panthers. You really can't go wrong with one.

Bri.
Isabella E
Site Admin
Site Admin

:

Items

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to downgrade ours to something a little smaller in the future, but other than we overdid it I have no complaints. I've had literally a stream of water go through it and a resulting pool/mud combo in the thing and it came out none the worse for wear.
Sarra
Club Member

:

Items

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I know we are going to get people helping, but my mom wants something we could set up by ourselves if we absolutly needed to.
Sarra
Club Member

:

Items

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, is Tentsmiths a solid brand? Good quality, etc?

Thanks!
Tibbie Croser
Senior Club Member

:

Items

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tentsmiths is also very good. I have a large canvas tarp from them; it's very well made.
Sarra
Club Member

:

Items

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input everyone!

I just have one more question.

A difference I see (aside from material, construction, etc) between Panther's tents and Tentsmith's is that Tentsmith's does not come with a sod cloth.

Has that been an issue for anyone?

It is my understanding that a sod cloth makes it so there is less of a chance for water to get in, because it kinda of seals the floor to the walls? Or something like that, with an L shaped peice of fabric?

Thanks! Sarre
Isabella E
Site Admin
Site Admin

:

Items

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the super ground cloth that Panther makes which is basically the sod cloth plus plastic on the bottom. I'll never buy another tent without one. Certain events we go to, despite living in the freaking desert...rain regularly. It keeps your floor dry and helps keep the water out. The one that Panther makes has a lip that tucks on top of a flap attached to the wall to help keep water out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    thegirlsclub Forum Index -> Off Topic Posts All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: