thegirlsclub Forum Indexthegirlsclub
This is a forum for women fighters in the SCA and similar clubs. Mentors, supporters, etc. too.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in            Calendar

NEWS:
A question from another forum, archery

View previous topic :: View next topic  
freiman the minstrel
Site Admin
Site Admin

:

Items

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:28 pm    Post subject: A question from another forum, archery Reply with quote

Ladies,

This thread appeared on another board.

http://www.devilspanties.com/forums/showthread.php?5606-shoot-like-a-girl

I figured that this was tangentially in our balliwick.

Please remember, this board is a different culture.

f

Quote:

ok so i started taking archery classes

problem is i havent got a clue to about 90% of what the old guy is saying

others dont really know how to help and it isnt their place to train me

i like the bruise on my arm, i find if i thwap it good with the draw i get a good yellow on the paper... but umm yeah thawping the arm is kind of a no no

also if you dont stand right or hold bow right i thawp the breast and bruising there doesnt hurt that much but weird to see

so was wondering if there where any good sites with info on proper stance, what bows and items to buy and all that ... but for ladies

and in english (no being a smart ass )

want to get my own bow (which is stupid since i have two at my moms but no idea if i will ever get them) and a target set for the yard. i have the room/distance

freiman
Hakon
Club Member

:

Items

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a few years since I used a bow and I never had breasts so the usual caviat of free advice being worth what you paid for it may well go double but ...

Slapping the wrist with the string usually means that the wrist is turned out too much. A bracer can help if pain from slapping the arm is an issue, I stopped wearing one when I had the correct arm position in muscle memory.

Hitting the breast may well be opening the stance too much, especially if the string is drawn close rather than to the ear as it should be. Chest guards (http://www.quicksarchery.co.uk/superbasket/category/1096/Chestguards) can help in a similar way to bracers. However long term the answer is changing the stance to move the breast out of the line of the string because if the string hits anything, including a chest guard, as you loose the shaft will not go where you were aiming. Try drawing and slowly releasing the tension on the string as you hold it so you can see the path it takes and correct your stance accordingly. You may wish to wear something quite stout for a while as you do this, or a chestguard, because I'm told that when the string just barely clips the breast is when it really hurts.

Good luck

H
Tibbie Croser
Senior Club Member

:

Items

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I've seen similar subjects arise on the SCA Target Archery and SCA Missile Combat Yahoo groups.
Ruskovic
Club Member

:

Items

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you sure that this is a woman posting this and not some adolecent boy teen trolling?

Seems very unlikely that any woman would have such NON training at an archery practice.

Can you just advise "her" to find another trainer, preferably female since she is obviously not getting any training? To stay there is unwise.
LadyLia
Senior Club Member

:

Items

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds to me like her release is bad. If you picture a shooting position, draw the string back to your cheek and touch your thumb. release the fingers without moving the thumb or letting the contact break. If you pull the hand out as you release, the string will snap in and that is when people get the bruises. Also Hakon's advise about the wrist was good too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    thegirlsclub Forum Index -> Off Topic Posts All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: