thegirlsclub Forum Indexthegirlsclub
This is a forum for women fighters in the SCA and similar clubs. Mentors, supporters, etc. too.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in            Calendar

NEWS:
LIGHT!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Malek
New Club Member

:

Items

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corby de la Flamme wrote:
"3. Do your blows that land unimpeded get called light in a tourney with any frequency? "
This happens to e v e r y o n e, even Freiman.
There are at least a hundred reasons why a blow landing unimpeded can be called light.

Agreed.

I spent 10 years in a game called Amtgard. They use ultra-lightweight padded weapons that weigh on the order of 6-8oz on average. The standard for calling a blow is a mere touch. This develops a lot of "wrist flick" maneuvers that actually impede my SCA technique.

I have landed many a blow that my opponent flat out tells me: "It came through, it was fast, but nothing was on it." They usually will take the first one or two like that, but after a few exchanges, they just start calling light. - it's particularly bad if I have been working with a new fighter and then change to an experienced one.

In the interest of being honorable in the game of SCA, I never question when someone calls light, due to my personal history. As such, I will just hit them again (and a little harder!)
Hakon
Club Member

:

Items

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: LIGHT! Reply with quote

Ariadne wrote:

We don't always call blows at practice... maybe half my blows are hard enough.

Just a thought but it might be worth while to ask your training partners to always call the blows even if they don't want to stop whatever excersie you're doing. After all that feedback is quite helpful.

H
Cunian
Site Admin
Site Admin

:

Items

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We often yell out a 1 - 10 number at practice. 1 being a touch and 10 being 'you knocked me silly'. It's been a help to me as one can acknowledge that a blow happened while saying it should be harder, and one can get an idea of the difference between Blow A, which is often 6 or 7 and Blow B, which tends toward 3s and 4s.
Jesmond
Senior Club Member

:

Items

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. That is really smart! I gotta start doing that.

-Jess
Next event: Christmas Re-tourney
The Misery Tour: You'll wish we had less fun.
Ariadne
Club Member

:

Items

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cunian wrote:
We often yell out a 1 - 10 number at practice. 1 being a touch and 10 being 'you knocked me silly'. It's been a help to me as one can acknowledge that a blow happened while saying it should be harder, and one can get an idea of the difference between Blow A, which is often 6 or 7 and Blow B, which tends toward 3s and 4s.

That sounds like a really good idea.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    thegirlsclub Forum Index -> Techniques All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: