thegirlsclub Forum Indexthegirlsclub
This is a forum for women fighters in the SCA and similar clubs. Mentors, supporters, etc. too.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in            Calendar

NEWS:
Stuffy old kingdoms

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Comedy in Court
Silly reigns break up the monotony, but I like a serious reign more often
50%
 50%  [ 4 ]
I prefer serious reigns most of the time, but will tolerate the rare silly reign
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Serious reigns show we're a serious organization and I prefer them nearly all the time
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
I don't care, I go along to get along, or I play our game for different reasons that the reign style
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
Silly reigns are de riguer, keep 'em comin'
25%
 25%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 8

Jorun Arngunnrsdottir
New Club Member

:

Items

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:20 pm    Post subject: Stuffy old kingdoms Reply with quote

I was reading this post in the AA this morning: http://forums.armourarchive.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=130317&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

And Diglach mac Cein says that he lives in "the stuffy Midrealm".

Just last night at practice, I was talking with my friend about Northshield's tradition of silliness. He says they are a young kingdom and that Ealdomere was similar for a while until they got into the swing of things. At Val Day this year, the King of Northshield was great fun and very jolly and mischievous in court and out. Northshield's most recent Pennsic War king, Tom Tintanabulum (who just so happens to ~come~ from my canton) is a jolly man as well and takes great delight in jokes and Not-Taking-the-SCA-Too-Seriously (TM).

So what I wonder is if the more established kingdoms or the oldest kingdoms really are that stuffy? I've noticed that we take ourselves awful serious in the Midrealm, especially when compared with our younger progeny kingdoms. Now, our current Majesty is a fan of fun in court, but there's still a serious element.

There have been (and I won't name names because I understand their reasoning for doing so) Midrealm kings who take their job really seriously and totally take on the role of "the man of the hall" and shoulder that part to play for their reigns. It's off-putting to some. Really off-putting. I don't mind it because I think if every reign was the same, we'd never have anything to complain about as a populace, lol.

Locally, our Barony is the oldest in the Midrealm, but we seem to have very relaxed courts with a very fun-loving Baron and Baroness. Our Pennsic baronial court is a silly costume party where we pick 2 themes that don't match (e.g.: Viking Luau, Da' Yoopteenth Century [14th century Yoopers], Anglo-Saxon Tea Party, etc) and have food and drink and garb to match. So we have a lot of fun locally and it never occurred to me that other parts of the Midrealm may be more serious.

I don't have a lot of experience with other kingdoms outside of interacting with people online or at Pennsic. What are your thoughts?
Isabella E
Site Admin
Site Admin

:

Items

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Atenveldt is one of the oldest Kingdoms in the SCA and silliness is alive and well here. We have serious reigns, silly reigns, theme reigns and everything in between. Different styles seem to appeal to different people and the one thing I've noticed is that someone will always complain no matter what you do. I like a good mix of serious and silly myself. I think that being silly every now and again is important to keep things fun but the seriousness can provide a level of medievaloid magic that is what attracts people to the SCA in the first place.
Cunian
Site Admin
Site Admin

:

Items

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I like both. Well done silly reigns that don't get over the top and the rare serious reign that actually pulls us into to the willing suspension of disbelief. I love the earnestness and effort that a first-time monarch often brings to the office.
Slaine
Senior Club Member

:

Items

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

During his last reign someone gave our current Prince one of those screaming flying monkeys with a Calontir tabard. When he stepped down he was greeted by a 21 monkey salute.

We can be silly in Calontir.
Wrenn
Senior Club Member

:

Items

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried for a balance between respect for the important moments and trying to be open, inviting, interesting and engaging when appropriate.

This can and has included tossing toys, candy and t-shirts to the gathered populace. As well as the odd pre-court story time.
Ariadne
Club Member

:

Items

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:10 am    Post subject: Re: Stuffy old kingdoms Reply with quote

Jorun Arngunnrsdottir wrote:

He says they are a young kingdom and that Ealdomere was similar for a while until they got into the swing of things.

That's strange - I wasn't around back then, but some of the local people who have been around a while were complaining that Ealdormere got far too serious and nationalistic when we first became a kingdom, and that we've only recently learned to have fun again.

IMO, a reign is far too long to be serious or silly for. There should be serious events (like a Coronation or some tourneys) and silly events (like Twelfth night or many camping events).

We were playing Zombie apocalypse as part of the melee practice at the event two weeks ago.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    thegirlsclub Forum Index -> Off Topic Posts All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: