thegirlsclub Forum Indexthegirlsclub
This is a forum for women fighters in the SCA and similar clubs. Mentors, supporters, etc. too.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in            Calendar

NEWS:
Hello from Mons Tonitrus

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leslie Wilson
New Club Member

:

Items

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:30 am    Post subject: Hello from Mons Tonitrus Reply with quote

New to the SCA but having a lot of fun; taking up rapier and enjoying the heck out of it. Nice to find you on the web!
ChloetheEvenhardt
New Club Member

:

Items

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and Welcome!
I am also "new" (I have returned after more than 10 years, so new is pretty accurate). I am from the Kingdom of An Tir and I have taken up Heavy Fighting. This is a great place to be! I love the Girls Club so far.
Tibbie Croser
Senior Club Member

:

Items

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another rapier fighter! Hurray!

I'm Tibbie and I've been fighting rapier in the Kingdom of Atlantia for 4 years.
Leslie Wilson
New Club Member

:

Items

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's a good place to find beginning rapier gear? My Barony also has a trebuchet but I need a hard suit card if I want to crew that (and I do) so I'll need to find eome armor and a helmet. Right now I'm mostly looking for a woman's gambeson (I've got a pattern for mens - would that work?) and rapier and gloves.

Love this forum!!
Isabella E
Site Admin
Site Admin

:

Items

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only things I ever bought for rapier were the things I couldn't make myself or have someone help me make. I made a silk undershirt then just wore regular long sleeved garb over the top.

All my gear I bought from James the Just. He guarantees every piece of equipment he sells and has some of the best customer service around. I've known him for years.

Also, nice to see another fellow Atenveldter around here. Smile
Leslie Wilson
New Club Member

:

Items

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I think there's enough "give" in the gambeson pattern I've got (Patterns of the Past) to be able to play around with it. Or my little sewing machine may just give up and die at the idea of so much padding. I'll have to see. I've seen James the Just's web site and it looks pretty good.

Are there a lot of female fighters in Atenveldt?
Isabella E
Site Admin
Site Admin

:

Items

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of fencers, but less heavy fighters. Many of the women who fence also fight heavy though.

Do you feel like you need a lot of padding? Most fencers in Atenveldt fight in something like a doublet with sleeves or just a long shirt.
Cunian
Site Admin
Site Admin

:

Items

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found Tasha's Charles de Blois pattern worked for me with very little alteration. But it is made to be roomy in the chest and very tight at the waist, so that may have helped. I don't know what pattern you have. That said, most gambeson patterns should probably be fitted and altered on a custom basis. (Not really as hard as all that. Get a garby friend to help.)

http://forums.armourarchive.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=132175&p=1956291&hilit=Charles+de+Blois#p1956291
Tibbie Croser
Senior Club Member

:

Items

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you need the gambeson for rapier or for heavy fighting? A padded gambeson might keep you from calling rapier blows correctly, as well as being unnecessarily hot. A garment with three or four layers of strong linen should be enough for rapier armor. (fabrics-store.com sells heavy linen at good prices.)

Do you already have a hood, mask, and gorget?

Much of my gear is from Zen Warrior Armoury, but that's because they're here in Atlantia. Their rapiers come in a range of lengths and are reasonably priced. The edges are prone to nicks, but the blades are relatively sturdy.
Leslie Wilson
New Club Member

:

Items

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the tips! I hadn't thought about the gambeson stopping me from calling blows; I've got the Patterns of the Past Medieval Military Garments, which has some gambesons and tunics in it. You're right, heat would be absolutely horrid, but I suspect I will need padding for when I go to hard suit/sword and board. I'll check out the pattern link you gave me and think about it.

I don't have a mask/gorget/etc, but the loaner gear is fine until I've got some capital to spend next month. I had a fencing jacket but 15 years doen't make for smaller sizes, and I sent my mask on to my niece when I hurt my shoulder and life interfered with extracurricular activities. Again, loaner gear is fine for now.

I've checked out some of the fabric stores on line and their prices are pretty good; I do have a "garby" friend who can help me fit some patterns. I'm okay with some very basic stuff with the sewing machine but it objects to anything heavier than a medium weight fabric. Which is not to say there's not someone out there with a heavy machine that would be willing to do it for me for pay or trade.

Thanks again!
Isabella E
Site Admin
Site Admin

:

Items

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For heavy combat there are a lot of options for armor and padding. But if you're doing siege and not going to be really mixing it up in the mess of things your armor needs may be different than someone who is fighting on the shield wall or with a polearm or what have you.
Tibbie Croser
Senior Club Member

:

Items

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leslie, here's a link to the Armour Archive: http://forums.armourarchive.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=136502

This guy is selling off several pieces of rapier gear from Zen Warrior Armory (rapiers, masks, and fencing undergarments). The two rapiers he's selling are the same kind and length as mine.
freiman the minstrel
Site Admin
Site Admin

:

Items

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome!

freiman
Leslie Wilson
New Club Member

:

Items

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll check it out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    thegirlsclub Forum Index -> Say hello! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: