thegirlsclub Forum Indexthegirlsclub
This is a forum for women fighters in the SCA and similar clubs. Mentors, supporters, etc. too.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in            Calendar

NEWS:
Woman to coach boys' varsity HS football in Wash., DC

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tibbie Croser
Senior Club Member

:

Items

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:51 pm    Post subject: Woman to coach boys' varsity HS football in Wash., DC Reply with quote

It's been reported locally that a D.C. high school is naming a woman to coach its boys' varsity football team. The woman, Natalie Randolph (if I recall her name correctly), was an assistant coach for boys' football at another high school in DC a couple of years ago. She also played for a women's pro football team here, the DC Divas, for a while. She's a science teacher.
freiman the minstrel
Site Admin
Site Admin

:

Items

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a good call.

She's experienced, she's local, and she's an ex pro.

There are some relatively important coach/player things that go on locker rooms, like halftime peptalks and such, but they can be done anyway, if you are even the slightest bit creative, or has a qualified assistant coach.

But, honestly, coaches extracurricular salary additions are quite small for the amount of time that they have to put in. Finding somebody on the current faculty that is already qualifed, experienced, and a ex pro ball player to boot is pure win.

It is certainly better than having to hire a second rate gym coach or history teacher, hire them, and somehow work around having them on staff.

There is the additional benefit that the move will draw attention to the program. They might lose a little bit of respect initially, from sexists that feel like she can't do it, but you know what, football is competitive, not a popularity contest, and nothing brings respect like winning.

f
Isabella E
Site Admin
Site Admin

:

Items

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish her all the success in the world. If she needs to talk to the guys in the locker room she could always have a fellah go in there and let them know then enter when they're decent. Wink
Tibbie Croser
Senior Club Member

:

Items

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a link to the news story: http://www.wtop.com/?nid=596&sid=1911096

As far as locker rooms...a local columnist noted that plenty of girls' sports teams have male coaches. Some women's college basketball teams have male coaches. There are ways for people coaching opposite-sex teams to work around the locker room issue.
freiman the minstrel
Site Admin
Site Admin

:

Items

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a little research.

Coolidge High (Randolph's school) is considered a "minority school". According to what I have found, the school is 80% black, 14% hispanic, 1% Asian, 2% "other" and 2% white.

The school has twice as many freshmen as seniors, and doesn't post their graduation rate.

46% of students qualify for federally funded school lunches. The school requires uniforms, which to me means "no gang colors".

That is tremendously stereotypical, but I am figuring that the women on this board are used to working with stereotypes.

I searched for a way that the women of this board might be able to support this action, and found nothing on the web. I then found the phone number of the school, and when dialing from Germany, I got the message:

Quote:

"You've reached a non-working, DC Government telephone number"

I am guessing that it is a rough neighborhood for a 29 year old white woman.

I am actually a couple of moments away from adding her to my prayer list.

f
Cunian
Site Admin
Site Admin

:

Items

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She already works there as a science teacher and seems to be well-liked by both staff and student body, so I'm figuring she'll be fine.
Tibbie Croser
Senior Club Member

:

Items

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ms. Randolph (who is not white but African American, by the way) has worked in the Washington public high schools for several years. She was an assistant coach at another DC high school for a couple of years, so she's connected to the local high-school coaching community. As Cunian said, I think she'll be fine. I also imagine that if her players like her, they'll look out for her.
ratslayer
Senior Club Member

:

Items

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish her the best of luck! I also think it's really great that someone who obviously loves football will have the opportunity to coach it. I played women's professional football and it certainly changed the way I watch football. I know, like any sport, it helps to have played the game if you are going to coach.

Kelwin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    thegirlsclub Forum Index -> Off Topic Posts All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: