thegirlsclub Forum Indexthegirlsclub
This is a forum for women fighters in the SCA and similar clubs. Mentors, supporters, etc. too.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in            Calendar

NEWS:
Heraldic rules for submission set to change

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wu Yun
Club Member

:

Items

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:07 pm    Post subject: Heraldic rules for submission set to change Reply with quote

Sorry, I'm not certain this would go here, but I'll give it a shot.

If you haven't passed your name or device (or you've had trouble in the past) you may be interested to know that the rules for submission are about to change. The college of arms is discussing those rules right now and there will be lots of discussion during Pennsic. There will be many far-reaching changes for both names and devices (translation: I think we're going to allow marshalling with very strict rules.)

If anyone hasn't gotten their name or device done for whatever reason, I'll be happy to help you. I might not be able to accept the money, but I can at least help you with your design and paperwork and get you where you need to go.
Ariadne
Club Member

:

Items

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neat.

Can you describe the changes? There doesn't seem to be anything about them on the Society website...
audax
Senior Club Member

:

Items

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish to submit the name Martel le Hardi and the device

sable a panther rampant argent incensed proper goutee de sang

The Minstrel's Champion
kfinna
Club Member

:

Items

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Audax,

Your name is clear of conflict as far as I can tell. (I'm not sure Morsulus has updated the online Ordinary & Armorial to reflect the most recent run of registrations yet, but with only six or seven Martels registered *ever*....)

Also, is the background of your device sable goutty de sang, or is the panther argent goutty de sang?

Also, lemme know if you want documentation help. (Open offer for anyone, actually. Bored herald is bored!)

-Kolfinna, human PA system and research geek
Club Member

:

Items

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rules changes are available on OSCAR. Anyone can look at the Letters of Intent, but if you don't have commentary rights you won't see the comments. If you are a herald and you'd like commenting rights, get in touch with your kingdom's principal herald.

Audax is your chosen name masculine or feminine? Just wondering since my own is actually a masculine name.

And your device sounds pretty cool if I'm interpreting your proposed blazon correctly.
Isabella E
Site Admin
Site Admin

:

Items

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was curious too because I don't see any discussion about it on any of the Aten Herald's lists.

Audax I can draw it out for you if you need me to.

The panther should be gouty de sang by the blazon, with fire coming out it's ears and mouth.
helene
Club Member

:

Items

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:23 pm    Post subject: Bored heralds? Reply with quote

Well, if there are bored heralds, here is what I've got so far for documenting Helene Margarethe von Braunschweyg:

I have found evidence for the medieval place name for Braunschweig (spelled Braunshweyg) in
Brechtel, Stephan: Wappenbuch des Heiligen Römischen Reiches (“Armorial of the Holy Roman Empire”)- BSB Cod.icon. 390, Nürnberg, um 1554 – 1568. This is a primary document and you may view a scan of it here:
http://daten.digitale-sammlungen.de/~db/0002/bsb00020447/images/index.html?seite=113

I found a reference to Helene von Sachsen for 1298 in “Regesta Schaumburgensia: die gedruckten Urkunden der Grafschaft Schaumburg“ (“Regesta Schamburgensia: The printed records of the county of Scaumburg”) By Carl Wilhelm Wippermann, Schaumburg. Helene von Sachsen is referred to on page 123 in entry 262b. A scanned version of this page can be found at
http://books.google.com/books?id=io8AAAAAcAAJ&ots=OGla4Ltwkn&dq=Regesta%20Schaumburgensia&pg=PA123#v=onepage&q&f=false

The website for the “Foundation for Medieval Genealogy” hosts “Charles Cawleys Medieval Lands”. This website lists several different spellings for Helene in Germany during the 13th and 14th century including Helene, Helena, Helenam, and Elena. This website lists “Regesta Schaumburgensia: die gedruckten Urkunden der Grafschaft Schaumburg as a primary source for the spelling Helene, but it is not clear that the website itself is a scholarly publication. A translation of the “Regesta Schaumburgensia” introduction characterizes the pieces as “printed records collected in literal statements (Google translate, please forgive me).

Finally, Margarethe is listed as a “safe” option for German names in http://heraldry.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/names/bahlow_v.htm with the dates 1385 and 1419.

I'm fairly clueless on the process. Does this look like sufficient / correct documentation?

Thanks!
- Helene

http://helenestuff.blogspot.com/
Wu Yun
Club Member

:

Items

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's some pretty great research! Way to get involved with your submission.

If I may ask, have you found anything that indicates a period German practice for your middle name? Are you more in love with Helene or Margarethe?

And don't worry about process, that's what your herald is for. I see you are in Ansteorra. If you've got sound documentation (which this appears to be) all you have to do is tranq one...I mean uh...track one down and the paperwork should be a breeze. Got any ideas for your device?
helene
Club Member

:

Items

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wu Yun wrote:
That's some pretty great research! Way to get involved with your submission.

If I may ask, have you found anything that indicates a period German practice for your middle name? Are you more in love with Helene or Margarethe?

Thanks! You know, I don't know the practice for middle names, but "Helene" is definitely the priority. The middle name is just nice.

Wu Yun wrote:

And don't worry about process, that's what your herald is for. I see you are in Ansteorra. If you've got sound documentation (which this appears to be) all you have to do is tranq one...I mean uh...track one down and the paperwork should be a breeze. Got any ideas for your device?

Thanks! I will let you know how it goes. I was toying with some ideas for my device, but now I'm not so sure. I'm hoping to get some better inspiration soon.

- Helene

http://helenestuff.blogspot.com/
alanagoodewyn
New Club Member

:

Items

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooh, I have a heraldry question, then...

How would one go about blazoning the double border thing going on with my device (which is my avatar)? My best guess was that it was an orle Or and bordure Sable, but I'm not sure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    thegirlsclub Forum Index -> Off Topic Posts All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: