thegirlsclub Forum Indexthegirlsclub
This is a forum for women fighters in the SCA and similar clubs. Mentors, supporters, etc. too.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in            Calendar

NEWS:
Hello from The Barony of Glymm Mere, Kingdom of An Tir

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChloetheEvenhardt
New Club Member

:

Items

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:57 pm    Post subject: Hello from The Barony of Glymm Mere, Kingdom of An Tir Reply with quote

Hello! I am a returning member of the SCA (some 11+ years break). When I was originally involved I viewed the SCA as a "fun ren faire", however, as an adult with an associates in Ancient History I have a much greater appreciation for the Society.

That being said, I'm dying to heavy fight. Budget is super tight. I'm a big girl. Short, but very stocky. 5'3" and I wear a 26 or a 28. I hear there is loaner armor to be borrowed, but I don't know who to talk to or where to go. Any help/ideas/suggestions? I don't want to sink a bunch of money into armor and find that I don't like it or can't take a few solid whacks to the ribs. (LOL)

Thanks!
Isabella E
Site Admin
Site Admin

:

Items

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forums. Smile

The best thing at this point for you to do is find the fighters in your local group or your local marshal and ask them about loaner gear and stuff. Once you know if you like it or not, then you can move on to figuring out how to put your kit together on a budget.
Keep in mind too that it's not some kind of cardinal sin to take some time to put your kit together. I think in the long run, it's smarter to not be in a huge hurry to just get out on the field anyway. I might be of a different opinion than some in that respect but one of the things just about every fighter grapples with is coming up with a kit that fits and works well and protects them the way they want.
I think you have a better chance of success in that regard if you don't just go out and buy a bunch of crap or throw some stuff together without thinking about what it will be like to use it. Once you know if you like fighting then there's a bunch of people here who can help are good at finding deals or putting kits together on a budget, or making their own armor.
ChloetheEvenhardt
New Club Member

:

Items

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I guess I'm lucky. I've gone to a demo event and a war now. I loved both. My boyfriend heavy fights, but he's significantly smaller than I am. Despite a significant size difference, we've gone through some "training" and fought in very slow motion with shields and rattan. I'm building my shield and sword as we speak. He's slimmer than I am, but we are very close to the same height. The basics have been fun. He's even hit my shield so I had an idea of what it would feel like to take a solid rap on it, at my request of course. So far it's exhilarating. I am looking forward to putting my armor together piece by piece and I'm in no rush to start officially fighting. Just enjoying the training. No training and ill fitting armor leads to injuries and bad form, not to mention a hazard to my fellow fighters. In time, I will get out an start fighting.
Thanks so very much!
Cunian
Site Admin
Site Admin

:

Items

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to practice. The likelihood that they have loaner stuff that will fit very well is fairly slim, but you can start doing some drills and getting to know folks and find out about different armours and what seems both practical and gives the look you want.

You might see if your boyfriend's helm will fit you. Getting hit on the head will give you a much better "feel" for getting hit than getting your shield hit.
rauokinn
Senior Club Member

:

Items

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live about an hour and change north of you and I think I probably have some loaner gear that might work for you. What practices do you go to? I would be willing to meet you at a Tacoma/ BAO practice, if we prearranged a date, so that you could try out fighting in armor. Let me know. PM me here or email me: mistyed at hotmail dot com

Rauokinn
ChloetheEvenhardt
New Club Member

:

Items

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to the Glymm Mere Practice on Wednesday. I plan to be there again next Wednesday. They had a coat of plates that fit me very well, and I wish I could have bought it off of them since there was little that needed to be changed to make me a very happy fighter. I don't mind loaner gear at all, but it seems as though my Barony actually has stuff to fit me. However, if you are willing to sell or know someone willing to sell armor in that size range please pass them to me. I would greatly appreciate it!
Thanks so much!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    thegirlsclub Forum Index -> Say hello! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: