thegirlsclub Forum Indexthegirlsclub
This is a forum for women fighters in the SCA and similar clubs. Mentors, supporters, etc. too.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in            Calendar

NEWS:
Greetings from Wolfscairn in the Mists

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gwnnil
New Club Member

:

Items

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:47 pm    Post subject: Greetings from Wolfscairn in the Mists Reply with quote

Hello all,
I am Gwnnil Pedersdotter, and I live in the Shire of Wolfscarirn, Principality of the Mists, Kingdom of the West. I have just returned to the SCA after a long hiatus. I am not a fighter, but I am seriously considering it. Part of why I left the SCA long ago was the sexism I experienced in my household (from the female head), which revolved somewhat around my desire to learn to fight and her resistance to the idea. I am petite and very feminine and I guess she thought that meant I couldn't do anything other than be her lady in waiting.
Now that I am older (36) and female fighters are more common (I even know one about my size!) I am mulling it over. I'd like some advice and things to consider. I know I have a huge disadvantage as far as strength and power is concerned, plus I am kind of shy. But I also have a strong desire to reclaim control of my body through a martial art and to hit someone with a big stick, and not get arrested or feel guilty about it. Razz
Regards,
Gwnnil Pedersdotter
LadyLia
Senior Club Member

:

Items

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and welcome to the boards. I originally started fighting just to prove to myself I could and totally fell in love with it. Hopefully the same will happen with you if you try, you'll never know unless you do.
Slaine
Senior Club Member

:

Items

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been a casual fighter for many years and I had a late 30's revelation and really amped up training. You can do it!
Isabella E
Site Admin
Site Admin

:

Items

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forums. Smile

You can offset it with learning good technique and by improving strength and fitness.
Gwnnil
New Club Member

:

Items

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the welcome. I've spoken to my household Duke, who is also a regular trainer at the shire fighter practice, and he managed in about 5 minutes to quell most of my concerns. He gave me some good food for thought - that a lot of fighting is your attitude, and that there's a difference between losing and being beaten. Everybody loses at some point, but they don't have to be beaten.

I'm feeling very optimistic.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    thegirlsclub Forum Index -> Say hello! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: